Monday, June 8, 2009

Steve Stone is the Best



I grew up watching the Cubs on WGN, and other than the occasional Braves game on TBS, that was pretty much all the baseball I watched. So I just assumed that every team had announcers that were as good at Steve Stone and Harry Caray.

Harry is gone, but Steve is back. After a little drama with the Cubs, he left the team, which I think ranks right behind letting Greg Maddux go. This guy was amazing to listen to. He would say stuff like, "Now, what Trachsel wants to do here is throw him an inside fastball now that he's attacked him away with the off-speed stuff. With the swing this guy has, the best he'll do with a well-located fastball is pop it up to the third baseman."

And wouldn't you know it, the pitcher and the hitter would both obey his command. It was creepy to watch.

The other day I was watching some of the White Sox game (I'm not one of those Chicago fans that sees the "other" team as if they should be wiped out) and it was great to hear Steve in front of the mic again.

It's not the same as when he covered the Cubs, but man it brought back some memories. He's as good as ever.

I consider myself lucky to have watched Michael Jordan play basketball. I consider myself lucky to be able to watch Lebron James. And everyone should at least catch a game or two of Steve Stone and his play-by-play before he decides to hang'em up.

It's well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment